○ 공식명칭: General Bathymetric Chart of the Oceans
- 국제공인 세계해저지형도 (Authoritative description of global ocean depths) 제작/업데이트
- 국제공인 세계해저지형지물 명명
- 미답해역 측심독려
- 측심기술 개발응용 진작
- 1899: 제7회 세계지리학회에서 해저지형도WG결성시행 결정
- 1903: 제1판 발행
- 1929: IHO편입
- 1973: IHO-IOC간 GEBCO협력 시작
- 1984: IHO-IOC간 MOU체결
- 2000: IHO-IOC간 MOU개정
- 상위기구: IOC-IHO공동관리
- 의결단위: GEBCO Guiding Committee
· 일본재단사업관리위(NF/G PMC)
- Gridded bathymetric data
- GEBCO 디지털 아틀라스
- GEBCO 세계지도
- GEBCO 해저지명사전
- GEBCO-美뉴햄프셔大-일본재단 측심기술교육 (총 1년간, 년 6인 전액 장학금)
☐ GEBCO World Map
○ 무료 다운로드:
□ GEBCO Digital Atlas (collection of GEBCO’s bathymetric data sets: grids and contours)
□ GEBCO Web Map Service (accessing geo-referenced map images including image layers based on the GEBCO bathymetric grid and Source Identifier Grid)
☐ GEBCO Bathymetric grid
○ 제작방식: database of ship-track soundings with interpolation between soundings guided by satellite-derived gravity data등에 근간함
- 최초버전: 2009년 1월 GEBCO_08 grid
- 최신버젼: 2014년 12월 GEBCO_2014 (30초각 간격, digital bathymetric model of the world ocean floor merged with land topography from digital elevation models)
※ 최초버전과 최신버젼의 차이점: incorporating new versions of regional bathymetric compilations and other data sources
- 업데이트 실적: 33% of ocean grid cells (not area) have been updated from the previous version, including new interpolated depth values and added soundings. This update includes a number of new data sets:
• 북서태평양: 일본해경 산하 Japan Oceanographic Data Center(JODC)에서 작업제공중
• Shallow water bathymetry data supplied by the East Asia Hydrographic Commission for part of the South China Sea region
• Shallow water bathymetry data (from Electronic Navigation Charts (ENCs) for waters off Chile from the Chilean Navy Oceanographic and Hydrographic Service
• A grid based on multibeam data from cruises for the Gulf of Cadiz region, west of the Strait of Gibraltar (doi:10.1016/j.epsl.2008.12.005)
• Data from the Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory (LDEO) Global Multi-Resolution Topography (GMRT) data set (http://www.marine-geo.org/portals/gmrt/)
○ GEBCO병행 그리드
- Source Identifier (SID) grid that identifies which of the corresponding cells in the GEBCO grid are based on soundings or existing grids, and which have been interpolated.
☐ GEBCO 측심 석사과정 (1년제)
○ 명칭: GEBCO designed and managed Postgraduate Certificate in Ocean Bathymetry (PCOB) graduate certificate course in ocean mapping
○ 교육수탁기관: 미국 New Hampshire대학교 Center for Coastal and Ocean Mapping/Joint Hydrographic Center
○ 일본재단에서 장학금 (학비전액 및 소정의 체재비) 제공
○ 졸업생 누계: 2004최초개설이래 32개국 60 PCOB course graduates working in their home country organizations, in academic institutes and in international industry. PCOB scholars are now active members of GEBCO subcommittees and working groups, are taking the lead in regional and capacity-building projects, and increasingly are in influential positions in their national organizations, and internationally, as a result of their Nippon Foundation / GEBCO training.
○ 재학생 현황: 6 students currently studying at UNH. A new group of 6 students will start at UNH in August 2015
- theoretical and practical aspects of ocean mapping
- 지구과학, 해양공학
- working visits to other ocean international organizations (for familiarization with the programs that the visited organization is engaged in, as well as some directed work under their supervision)
- opportunity to take part in a deep-ocean cruise to round out the students training
- GEBCO산하 Sub-Committee on Undersea Feature Names (SCUFN)
- SCUFN산하 Working Group to examine the Terminology Section of the Publication B-6 with the aim to clarify and standardize the definitions of generic terms in the Gazetteer → This work resulted in an updated list of acceptable terms both for new names proposals and for use in the harmonization of the GEBCO gazetteer with other national undersea feature gazetteers.
• UN Group of Experts on Geographic Names (UNGEGN)
• SCAR Standing Committee on Antarctic Geographic Information
• Diverse national committees on undersea feature names
○ 명명기준/원칙: IHO Publication B-6 Standardization of Undersea Feature Names
- Proposals for undersea feature names can be submitted to GEBCO or its parent organizations (IHO and IOC), by national and international authorities, individuals and scientific organizations.
- Based on the accepted undersea feature names, SCUFN compiles and maintains, as major product, the global GEBCO-Gazetteer of Undersea Feature Names (IHO Publication B-8).
- The Gazetteer contains a global database of Undersea Feature Names maintained by SCUFN and managed by the IHO.
○ 명명결과 조회
- URL: http://www.ngdc.noaa.gov/gazetteer (hosted by the International Hydrographic Organization Data Centre for Digital Bathymetry co-located with NOAA’ National geophysical Data Center)
- 포맷: 엑셀, shapefile, KML, WMS, ArcGIS layer as a REST-style API
☐ GEBCO Cook Book
○ 발행번호: IHO Publication B-11 and IOC Manuals and Guides 63.
○ provides an educational resource for preparing gridded datasets and bathymetric data
○ contains chapters that span basic to advanced topics, written by expert GEBCO contributors from international research organizations, universities, governments, and companies
○ is a “living document” continuously updated and expanded as new or amended techniques and software become available.
○ The latest update was Sept. 2014.